Commitment to Your Privacy
COllection of Personal Health Information
We collect personal health information about your child and family. The personal health information we collect may include: name, date of birth, address, health and developmental history, records of visits to Niagara Children’s Centre and the care your child & family received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about children & families from other sources if we have obtained consent to do so, or if the law permits. Your personal health information will be contained within an electronic system. We limit collection of information to what is required to provide care to you and your child.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose personal health information to:
- Treat and care for children & families
- Get payment for treatment and care
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Conduct risk management activities
- Conduct quality improvement activities, such as sending satisfaction surveys
- Conduct research
- Compile statistics
- Fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
Parents/caregivers may limit access, make corrections to their children’s personal health records or withdraw consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us. Information on how to make changes will be provided upon request. Please note that there are legal exceptions.
We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only use your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
- There is a Guide to Privacy and Consent for Families, please ask your therapist for a copy.
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
Manager of Rehabilitation Services and Privacy Officer
Niagara Children’s Centre
567 Glenridge Avenue
St Catharines, Ontario L2T 4C2
(905) 688-1890 X 200
email@example.com (do not send personal information via email)
You have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights. The commissioner can be reached at:
Information and Privacy Commissioner/ Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400 Toronto ON M4W 1A8
Telephone (416) 326-3333 or 1-800-387-3333 Fax (416) 325-9195