Family Centred Care
What is Family Centred Care?
Family Centred Care is a philosophy of care that has been adopted by Niagara Children’s Centre. It emphasizes the partnership of children, families and the staff of Niagara Children’s Centre to work together in the best interest of children and their families overall health and success in therapy school and play. By sharing desires and goals, children and families and Niagara Children’s Centre staff begin work towards attaining them with the resources each brings.
It is recognized that in order to be good team members, we all need information both now and on an on-going basis. Staff receive intensive on-going education about the Family-Centred Care model and implement the clinical requirements of the model on a daily basis. As a parent, and a team member, your understanding of the model and participation on the team is equally as important.
As the most important member of your child’s team, we want you to know that….
You and your child are actively included in the delivery of service from initial contact, through assessment, goal planning, treatment programming, service transitions and discharge.
Your team members are dedicated and prepared to help you throughout your involvement with your child and Niagara Children’s Centre.
Your team members will help you advocate for your child and the services your family needs. As a member of the team you will be encouraged to:
- Express your concerns, desires and goals for your child
- Ask question about your child’s service
- Ask questions about other services and resources that are available at the Centre and in the community
- Share information and help make decisions about your child’s services
- Work together with team members in an atmosphere of mutual respect
- Understand the services your child and family are receiving
- Request additional information about services and resources
- Understand your child’s development and progress