Family Advisors Needed
FAMILY ADVISORS NEEDED!
Niagara Children’s Centre is committed to engaging families to help improve the quality of Centre services and the family experience related to our services. We want to engage families in our improvement efforts because we recognize that families offer knowledge, perspectives, and insights that no one else can provide.
We are currently recruiting Family Advisors who:
· Are family members of a child (or children) currently using any Centre services or who have recently been discharged (within the past year)
· Are interested in providing input and recommendations from the family perspective to improve services and experiences
· Can help to ensure that Centre services, materials, and initiatives are family-centred and reflect the needs and preferences of families
There are several equally impactful ways to volunteer as a Family Advisor. A description of each Family Advisor position is described below.
The Centre’s Family Engagement Facilitator will help match interested family members to the position that best matches their interests, skills, experiences and availability. Family members do not need any special qualifications to be an advisor. What is important, is lived experience. The Family Engagement Facilitator will provide any needed orientation, training, and support for Family Advisors to succeed in their position.
If you have any ideas, questions, or concerns, please contact Rebecca Main at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-688-1890 ext. 257.
Be a Member of the (New!) Family Advisory Network
· 12-20 family members working together with a small group of Centre staff
· Family members will both ADVISE staff and PARTNER with staff on a wide range of topics related to child and family experiences, programs, services, strategic directions, initiatives, educational materials, policies, and procedures
· As a group, family members will have the opportunity to select and LEAD projects and initiatives that align with the Centre’s goal of enhancing family-centred care
► Time Commitment: Meetings will be held in the evenings at Niagara Children’s Centre. Meetings will typically be held monthly, with approximately 8 meetings between September and June (the start date for this year has yet to be determined). Members may require approximately 1 hour prior to each meeting to pre-read materials. Members will be asked to commit to one or two year terms. Complimentary childcare will be provided on-site.
► How to Join: If you are interested in more information, please contact email@example.com. If you are ready to apply, please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/family-partnership-program. The Family Engagement Facilitator will contact you to arrange an interview. Please note: the FAN is now full for this year, and we plan to begin accepting applications for September 2017 in May 2017.
Be a Member of a Centre Committee:
· 2 family members working together with a group of Centre staff on a standing committee (a committee that continues year to year)
· We are currently recruiting for the following committees:
o Client Quality and Safety: provides recommendations and leadership in all matters of service quality and client safety.
o Diversity and Cultural Competence: supports the Centre’s commitment to create and maintain respect for diversity, and foster equality, inclusion and a positive environment for the Centre’s clients, employees, and other stakeholders. Supports the Centre’s commitment to becoming more culturally competent, taking into consideration race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability and sexual orientation.
o Communications: supports the Centre’s and School Authority’s external communications strategy by providing input and generating content ideas for various communication channels (e.g. website, Facebook, Twitter, newsletters, etc).
o Family Engagement: supports the development of family engagement strategies and activities both at an individual therapy level and at an organizational level (e.g. the development of the families as advisors program and a family to family support program, improving information sharing between the Centre and families, strengthening the Centre’s culture of family-centred care).
► Time Commitment: Meetings will be held during the daytime at Niagara Children’s Centre. Meetings will typically be held monthly, with approximately eight 1-2 hour meetings between September and June (the start date for this year has yet to be determined). Members may require approximately 1 hour prior to each meeting to pre-read materials. Members will be asked to commit to a one year term. Unfortunately, childcare will not be available for committee meetings.
► How to Join: If you are interested in more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are ready to apply, please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/family-partnership-program . The Family Engagement Facilitator will contact you to arrange an interview.
Be a Member of a Project Team
· Family members will partner with Centre staff on short term projects or improvement initiatives (e.g. redesigning therapy spaces, improving our referral process for new families)
► Time Commitment: Varies dependent on the project. Some projects may take a few meetings, others may take many months. Every effort will be made to accurately estimate the length of a project before an advisor commits to joining.
► How to Join: There are no current openings for family advisors on project teams. If you are interested in being a member of a future project team, please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/family-partnership-program. The Family Engagement Facilitator will contact you when opportunities become available.
Be a Virtual Advisor
· Provide input and recommendations from the comfort of home
· Virtual Advisors will be sent surveys and/or asked to review and provide feedback on written materials electronically (policies, newsletters, website content, educational materials etc)
· Arrangements can be made for any interested family member who would like to complete surveys and review materials in person, over the phone, or with a paper and pen!
► Time Commitment: Extremely flexible. Surveys and/or written materials will be sent periodically over email. Each request will indicate a deadline for completion (not less than 1 week). Virtual Advisors will not be obligated to respond to each request. We hope that Virtual Advisors will complete at least one request every few months. Virtual advisors may step down at any time.
► How to Join: If you are interested in more information, please contact email@example.com. If you are ready to apply, please fill out this form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/family-partnership-program. You can indicate whether you are interested in completing surveys, review materials, or both. The Family Engagement Facilitator will arrange for you to sign a confidentiality agreement (if you selected reviewing materials) and determine the best way to send surveys, materials, and related instructions.
Participate in a Focus Group
· In-person focus groups will be organized periodically to enable small or large groups of family members to share feedback and ideas on a specific topic/issue
► Time Commitment: Focus groups can take place in the daytime or evening at Niagara Children’s Centre and will typically be 1-2 hours in length. Family members will be notified in advance if childcare is available.
► How to Join: Please fill out this form to indicate your interest in participating: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/family-partnership-program . We will notify you of upcoming groups that match your experiences and interests as they are organized. You will not be obligated to attend any focus group. You may remove your name from our list at any time.